Ricotta Salata is a great way to use up leftover whey. Simply make the Ricotta using your favourite recipe, then salt and press, turning a few times and adding some extra salt along the way.
Deliciously firm and creamy at 14 days or hard and able to be grated at 90 days.
- If you haven’t already, add 1 Tablespoon of cheese salt to the Ricotta and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop Ricotta into a cheese cloth lined cheese basket. Press at 5 kg / 11 lbs for 30 minutes.
- Remove from basket, rub over the surface with 1 teaspoon of cheese salt, then turn and rewrap. Press at 10 kg / 22 lbs for 6 hours.
- Remove from basket again, rub over the surface with 1 teaspoon of cheese salt, then turn and rewrap. Press at 10 kg / 22 lbs for 12 hours.
- Take the cheese out of press, unwrap and air dry for 2 to 3 days until touch dry.
- Mature at 13C/55F at 80% humidity for 14 to 90 days. It’s delicious fresh after 14 days, or the longer you mature this cheese, the harder it becomes and is ideal for grating.
You can pick up cheese making supplies and equipment for Ricotta Salata over in our store; Little Green Workshops. I recommend the Mozzarella and Ricotta Kit, which is perfect for making this cheese.